Saturday, December 22, 2007

Brand New Experience

Well, we took the mighty Spills to her very first movie today! After reading a gazillion reviews, and weighing the pros and cons, we took her to see Enchanted. And we all loved it! I prepped her for it by telling her virtually the entire plot in detail (leaving out the ending, but asking her to predict what she thought it would be...). She probably annoyed everyone around us by whispering, "Is this the man she's going to go and live with?" or, "When is the mean queen going to come to New York City? When is she going to turn into a dragon?"

She was impressed by everything, starting with the model of the aliens in their flying saucer, hanging from the ceiling of the theatre's lobby. She enjoyed the coming attractions, although she kept whispering dismissively to me, "ADS--they're trying to sell us stuff" (that's what we do at home whenever there is an advertisement on TV). She thought it was a brilliant idea to actually share pop and popcorn during the movie. She's only had pop about three times in her life. And she adored the songs, the New York City setting (she has an obsessive thing about New York City, although she's never actually been there), the chipmunk, and everything. At one point, when it got a bit scary, I leaned over to her and whispered, "Ooh, I think I'm getting a little scared."

"Oh, Mommy," she said, "I'm not scared at all. Only my foot is scared. See? It's shaking." And it was.

Since we've been home, she's treated us to the entire plot several times over again, dressed in a princess outfit with a tiara. Periodically she hurls herself down on the floor and shouts, "Oh, I've been poisoned! I need true love's kiss!" Then her father or I give her a kiss, and she springs back to life.

It's mandatory for the audience to pay attention during these living room performances; when I fell asleep at one point, I awoke to an audio tape being partially inserted into my mouth, and the stern words, "Mommy, I love you. Stay awake."

No comments: