Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Anticipation

Well, there's yet another snow storm forecast to come our way tomorrow. Seems like there have been nothing but storms all winter.

And on nights like these, when I'm watching the weather report with interest, I realize how lucky I am. As a teacher, I know that if the freezing rain gets too bad in the morning, I won't be asked to get into my car and slither along icy roads to school, heart in my mouth. Able to sleep in, I can look forward to Spills waking up on her own and slipping into our bedroom. She'll whisper, "Mommy, I'm awake!" and crawl in beside me, warm and flannel-y. She'll probably demand a back rub with fingernails. And she and I will have a day of reading and snuggling and lip syncing to anything that appeals to us. Probably we'll bake something. Maybe we'll string some beads. Definitely there will be something nice for lunch.

And if I'm really lucky, maybe sometime during the long, lazy storm, she'll do a repeat performance of her latest gem, a Sanjaya-heavy rendition of "Girl, you really got me now...." in which "Girl" is replaced by "Mommy." The last line goes, "You're my kind of Mooooommmmmmmmy." (The first time she sang it, though, the last part of the "Mommy" was obscured by an involuntary belch, and peals of laughter.)

Yes, I do love it when the snowflakes begin to fall, because it means I steal a few extra hours with insanity chick. Now, all we have to hope is that ENOUGH flakes fall.

No comments: