Friday, February 1, 2008

Emoting from the Tub

You know when you laugh so hard that your stomach hurts and you find yourself bending over sideways trying to hold it in, because you know you can't let on that you find anything funny--because it's not supposed to be funny? It's that laughing-in-church thing.

Anyway, we have spent the last hour listening to Spilly roaring her signature tune, "I don't know how to MAKE MY PARENTS LOVE ME." It has gone through a lot of incarnations, with many soulful gradations of emotion, new verses, heart-stopping climaxes, whispered afterthoughts, etc.

And I was just invited in: "MOMMY, THERE'S A CONCERT! COME ON!"

There she was standing up in the tub (and yes, we've since had a serious talk about how you don't do that) with her stretchy rubber squid stretched around her little torso, the squid holding a washcloth in place that hung down like a little sundress. And she was in full headbanger rocker chick mode.

"What are you going to sing?" I asked.

"A song about Terry Fox, written by Sanjaya Malakar."

"Oh!" I said, surprised, having expected the signature tune. "Great! Take it away."

(And this is where I need to clarify that Spilly thinks the world of Terry Fox, worries about him, and frequently asks questions about him. Her song was most definitely a tribute to him, and I hope it wouldn't be construed as making fun of him in any way.)

She put her little head back, put the imaginary microphone to her mouth, and bellowed at the top of her lungs.

"And he hopped and he hopped around CAAA-NAAAA-DAAAA...."

I had to leave the bathroom. And out in the hall was my hubby, already doubled over.

1 comment:

Canadian Girl said...

Susan I seriously can't thank you enough for "The Spilly Files". I have enjoyed this brief respite from my every day stresses and can't tell you how much your blog has brightened my days. If your Spilly and my Kenzie Bean ever got together I doubt we'd ever breathe again from laughing so hard. At any rate please know that even though I don't comment every day I've read every one and appreciate the heart and soul you put into them and the love you have for Spilly.