Saturday, March 1, 2008

Busy Day

Saturdays are supposed to be lazy days. This one started offensively early, though, when Spills climbed into our bed and said, "I'm going to make your hair look like a boy." (This consisted of scraping every strand of my hair behind the back of my head, so I looked like I was wearing the world's tightest bun. Attractive. Kind of painful.)

Once she had us up -- it didn't take as long as you'd think -- we wolfed down breakfast, started cleaning frantically, then threw on clothes and headed out to buy something that might resemble a decent lunch for my parents and brother, who would be arriving late morning. My brother, who lives in B.C., is here this week for a conference. We hardly ever see him, so having him for lunch today was a big deal.

Spilly knows him best as the guy who was here when she fell down the stairs. He didn't mean for it to happen, and he certainly didn't initiate it. She was about a year old. Nobody knew she could climb stairs, and nobody was watching at that particular split-second. (Bad us.)

No sooner was he in the door today, then she said severely, "Uncle David, do you remember when I fell down the stairs?"

"Yes, I do," he said.

"And what did you say?" This is Spills' favourite question at the moment.

"I said, 'Oh no, she's fallen down the stairs.'"

"And what did I say?"

"You said, 'Waaaaahhhhh.'"

We had a wonderful visit, all too short, policed by Spills. And after everyone was gone, we began the Fashion Show. We are off to Portugal (the Algarve) very soon for a one-week holiday, and Spills has been growing a surprising amount since the last time she wore shorts. So we tried everything on, discarding most of what we'd hoped would fit.

Then, we piled into the car and headed to the shopping mall to see what we could find for her. Much angst later, she has several suitable items, and I have new capri pants. Whee!

And this trip will come not a moment too soon. Yet another storm watch is in effect for our area. And here I was thinking that we'd gone almost a week without one, and wondering if someone was asleep at the controls. Apparently not.

No comments: