Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Snowbound

Yet another freezing rain onslaught last night, coupled with mountains of snow (the snow on each side of the driveway is again taller than me--taller than hubby as well, actually). The good news was, the buses for our schools were cancelled. I decided to take a "family responsibility day" and stayed home with a delighted Spills.

We didn't make custard. We did make corn chowder from scratch, and had it for lunch. Spilly is getting better and better at measuring things out and pouring them. She has also discovered that she does not like raw potato.

We practised writing things. We took a ballet class led by me (no mean feat, considering I don't know the first thing about ballet). We watched Finding Nemo for the first time and talked a lot about the death of Nemo's mother.

At lunch, while being Sanjaya, Spilly treated me to an extended musical lecture about the solar system, sung from beginning to end in an American Idol style. Never has the solar system sounded so hip and current. I kept a solemn face throughout, even when it morphed in the last few minutes into the song "Hollywood." Technically Hollywood is in the solar system so I guess it fit the song.

The highlight of the day by far was the marathon reading session, broken into palatable chunks. We dug out one of the original Raggedy Ann stories by Johnny Gruelle (I think that's his name), first published in 1918. It took a few hours to get through the whole thing, especially when you factor in questions and commentary from Spills. It was delightful sitting together on the couch with the fire roaring, and the snowstorm roaring, and having a small person nestled in close. And when we had finally finished, we went and found Spilly's own Raggedy Ann and Andy, handmade for her by her Grandma (complete with the embroidered "I Love You" on the heart) and presented to me at my baby shower.

Spills held them with some awe and asked softly, "Do you think that toys really come to life when kids are sleeping?"

"I have never been quick enough to catch them," I said. "But I keep trying."

"I keep trying too."

No comments: