Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Lovin' the Spills in her Various Forms

I said to Spilly, "You know what I feel like when I'm driving home at night?"

"What?"

"I get a little bit happier, and then a little bit happier."

"Why?"

"Because I'm coming home to see you."

"And what do you say when you get in the driveway?"

"I say, 'Oh boy, I'm going to see her in a minute!'"

"And what do you say when you get to the door?"

"I say, 'Oh, I'm even more excited, because she's going to be on the other side of this door?'"

"And what do you say when you see me?"

"I say, 'YAHOO!'"

She thought for awhile. "But what if I was a cricket in an egg?"

"Um," I said. "Well, I'd love you in your little egg, and I'd say, 'Oh, I hope this cricket comes out to visit soon.'"

"And what would you say if I hatched out of my egg, but I couldn't talk yet. I could just go like this." Spills mouthed 'peep peep' without making a sound.

"I would say, 'Hello, little cricket! I will teach you to talk. It's very easy. Just do this.'"

Then followed a truly silly session of Peep School, as Spilly-the-cricket tried to learn how to do it properly.

"What if I was a teenager cricket?"

"I'd say, 'Hello, little teenager cricket! I love you!'"

The Teenager Cricket launched herself at me off a step-stool and shouted, "I love you too! PEEP PEEP!"

Fortunately I caught her.

No comments: