Thursday, April 17, 2008

Big Day Coming

There's no living with Spills tonight, and she's going to be worse tomorrow. She's been invited to partake in a very special treat. My wonderful colleague Mrs. S, who teaches grade one at my school, and who is surely one of the Great Teachers, has asked if Spilly would like to be in her class tomorrow afternoon. They will do a craft, and then they will all head to a concert in our gym by none other than one of Spilly's (and Mrs. S's, and my) favourite singers, Charlotte Diamond.

When I first broached the subject with Spills, some weeks ago, she began leaping around, yelling, "Mrs. S! Charlotte Diamond! Mrs. S! Charlotte Diamond!"

Mrs. S is as great a draw for Spilly as Charlotte Diamond (who is a huge draw). Mrs. S keeps snakes in her classroom and grows avocado trees and has a passion for bugs of all sorts. She also adores every kind of music you can imagine. Her students all tend to become junior scientists, out inspecting foliage for various things at recesses. She and Spilly are kindred spirits of a rare sort. Unlike those who showered Spills with princess paraphernalia at Christmas, Mrs. S gave her a book about volcanoes.

As for me, I will be pining away in my classroom tomorrow, wishing I could be at the concert too. Alas, I teach the really "big kids," and they are not going to be attending. They are, however, going to be as insufferable as Spills in their own way, as I've let slip that Spills will be in the school and they want her to spend the afternoon with them. One of my boys said, "She HAS to come meet us, because it's my birthday tomorrow!"

Now I just have to figure out how I can rip her in two, so she can be in two places at once.

No comments: