Thursday, April 10, 2008

Spring? Really??!!

So Spills has been sick as a dog but is back on the road to Healthville. To celebrate, she and I planned to go out after school with her big-girl two-wheeler. The one she is worried about riding, because she has not instantly become perfect at it.

Before we left, she said, "I think we're just going to walk around the block."

I said, "Oh no, I thought we were going to ride your two-wheeler."

"No, I think we're going to walk."

"Why?"

"Because I like to walk," Spills said with dignity.

We headed out the door and began to walk along the sidewalk. I said, "I guess you're too scared to ride your bike."

"I'm not!"

"I think you are."

"NOT!!!!"

This went back and forth for awhile and then I let up for a bit. Until I couldn't resist the urge to make chicken noises. She wasn't amused. I kept it up. And finally she turned around and started stamping away.

"Where are you going?" I said.

"TO!!! GET!!! MY!!! BIKE!!!!"

So a short while later, there we were merrily humming along the sidewalk, me at a brisk walk and she on the mighty two-wheeler. We made it midway around the block before running into a friend of hers from kindergarten who was on his way to the park with his Grandma. After we parted ways, it occurred to me that Spills had not yet ridden her bike all the way to the park.

I said to her, "Hey, wanna hear about something that is a VERY incredible challenge?"

"What is it?"

"I think I know a way we could ride your bike TO THE PARK."

"How? How?"

"I think if we cross the street over there and go along that road, we might get to the back entrance to the park. And your friend is going in the front entrance. So we might meet up with him over there!"

The whole way over, I kept commenting aloud about how great it was to be able to ride your bike to the park. After all, walking to the park takes forever and is very boring. Riding your bike to the park takes about two minutes and then you have more time for playing.

We made it just as her friend arrived. They proceeded to have a fabulous play for more than an hour. I had a great chat with his Grandma. Everywhere you looked in the park were joyful kids racing around, and crazed-looking adults who had been starved all winter for a good chin-wag amid greenery.

Spring. I think it might finally be here. I hesitate to say that too loudly though.

No comments: