Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Morning Rituals

Much as I hate to leave my little family in the morning, I do enjoy the process of getting out the door. Because Spilly is a woman of habit, and her habits tend to be quite entertaining.

After breakfast, she helps me into my coat and hands me my lunch bag and purse. Then she pushes me bodily toward the garage door, while saying soothing things like, "It'll be okay, you don't have to worry, sweetie. You'll be home again in no time."

She's being me, you see, and I am supposed to be her. I have absolutely no idea how the game started, but it's ironclad.

"Okay, Mom," I say. "And will we play together after school?"

"Yes we will, sweetie."

"And will we have a snack?"

"Yes, sweetie."

"And will we sing songs and do crafts and have stories?"

Big sigh. "YES, sweetie, but you have to go now."

Massive push out the door.

"Good bye, sweetie. And sweetie--don't let the bed bugs bite!"

Slam.

No comments: