Monday, April 14, 2008

Goin' to the Chapel....

So after school the Spills frequently likes to engage in a little dress-up. Today she headed upstairs to the tickle trunk, and helped herself to some clothes. I could hear her humming away to herself, yanking things on.

All was well till the sobbing started. I ran to the bottom of the stairs.

"What's wrong?"

Wordlessly, weeping and shaking with despair, she held up the white skirt that was part of her bride outfit. It was ripped down the side. The damage happened some weeks ago when Spills' friend was over and tried the skirt on. Her friend is a few years older and consequently a little too big for the bride outfit. Spilly had been unaware of the damage, and I'd completely forgotten.

"I think we can fix it," I said, hoping I remembered how to use the sewing machine. It's been a long time since home economics.

We hauled the sewing machine out of the basement, threaded it somehow (it's amazing the things you remember), and managed to sew a seam that was sort of headed in the right direction. When we were done, Spilly put on her skirt and pranced around with great joy.

Then she said, "Mommy, does this look like YOUR wedding dress?"

"You've seen my wedding dress. It was big and poofy with yellow roses."

"Where is it?"

"Upstairs in the cedar chest."

And then you guessed it. The little minx talked me into going upstairs and hauling the thing out. Along with the world's largest and most in-your-face crinoline.

"Can you put it on, Mommy?"

"I...suppose it's possible I could," I said.

"Do it! Do it ! Do it!"


.....And thus it was that when Daddy came in from doing manly things in the garage with various tools, he found his two women sitting in front of the tv in their wedding dresses.

And he just sighed.

"I'll go get the camera."

No comments: