Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Feelings that are Too Strong

Every so often a moment happens, and you have joy and grief mingling at the same time, joy because it is so precious, and grief because you know that it is already half-over, destined to keep its meaning in memory only.

Spills and I sat in her rocking chair last night, in the dark. We told some silly stories together, and talked to Monty and Ribbon, and had a cuddle. Then I said, "Do you know that this is the part of my day that makes me the very happiest?"

In her sing-songy, dramatic little way, she said, "Oh, Mommy, do you really mean it?"

"I really really do."

"Oh, that makes ME so happy!" And she stuck her arms around my neck. "Mommy, do you remember about strong feelings?"

"What about them?"

"About when your feelings are so strong, they make tears come in your eyes?"

"Yes, I remember." We had had a complicated talk once about why people sometimes cry even when they're happy.

"I'm having the strong feelings."

"I am too," I said.

No comments: