Thursday, January 3, 2008

Multifaceted Gifts

Spilly has a dear friend who is a boy. I might even venture to call him her "boyfriend." Certainly that's what she calls him. And since they often play "wedding" together, and we have video footage of them kissing (great blackmail material), I'd venture to say it's reciprocated.

It's all the sweeter because this little boy was not expected to live when he was first born, and spent the first several months of his life in the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children. Our family grew closer to his during that time, as we shared a little of that experience with his mother and father, through cooking for them, visiting with them, and sharing the strange coincidence of the fact that Spilly also needed some ongoing medical attention during that time, in the same area of the hospital (not that her medical troubles were anything much compared to Robbie's).

Now that Robbie is in great health, and only six months younger than the mighty Spills, we all watch their budding romance with great affection. We joke a lot about becoming inlaws one day, and we're possibly all secretly hoping it'll come to pass. And I sometimes think about the strange path our friendships have taken, from a work-based friendliness (I taught with Robbie's dad for a number of years) to a relationship tinged in pain and desire to help, to a strong friendship based on our children's mutual love for each other, to something that really transcends friendship and is much closer to family. A precious gift indeed.

Robbie was over today with his family for a post-holiday get-together. It was intended to be a playdate, but turned into an impromptu rustle-up-what-you-can dinner and a great time. The kids played beautifully (Spilly showed off her new wedding dress, part of a box of costumes she received for Christmas) and they staged their wedding, among other raucous activities. The adults all gabbed away happily.

And tonight the talk turned to our jobs. Robbie's dad is still at my old school, the one I often feel I wish I hadn't left (although it was for the best at that time, having to do with wanting to drop some of my hours due to having Spilly, and needing to switch schools in order to make that happen). He knows I'm not particularly happy at my current school, where I've been for the past four years. He knows I miss my old staff and the tone of that school.

Tonight he said to me point-blank, "You should just come back. Why not?"

And as the evening wore on, I thought to myself, What if?

And it continues to rankle at me. My gut is starting to say, maybe this is my year for change. I've been thinking it for awhile, feeling quite unhappy in my current position, but it took Robbie's dad to articulate it for me. So I'll continue to chew on it for awhile. And be thankful for friendships that have grown in multifaceted ways and continue to bear fruit when you least expect it.

No comments: