Saturday, January 19, 2008

Peaceful Saturday Mornings (not)

I love Saturday mornings. I love lying there and realizing that no alarm is going to go off. I'm happy thinking about the long hours ahead, the lack of pressure, the many cups of coffee to be drunk.

And then I hear the click of the bedroom door next to ours. And the footsteps in the hall. And our door being opened ever so quietly. And a little voice by my elbow. "Mommy! I'm up! Can I have a back rub with your fingernails?"

Then all my fantasies (because that's what they are) vanish, and I realize it's show time.

Today, for example, the following things took place next:

1. Spilly turned into Mr. Kiss, our euthanized cat, and pounced around the covers meowing playfully.

2. She took all the things off my bedside table and made an alternative bedside table in the hallway.

3. She bashed me in the nose with the back of her head while trying to get comfortable on my pillow.

4. She pretended to be "Sanjaya with Joe Parrot" (we think she meant Joe Perry) and did quite a nice job.

5. She balanced Ribbon on my nose and mouth.

6. She wanted to know when we were going to make Ribbon a new ribbon to replace the old one that vanished a long, long time ago. She wanted to know exactly how we would do it. And at what time specifically.

7. She asked what would happen if the chicken we were about to eat turned back into a live chicken. What would I say? What would we do? What would we do next? What would the chicken do? Why would it do that?

8. She was curious as to when we would be getting up, and what we would be having for breakfast, and whether she could help to make it.

9. She wanted to know why she couldn't wear my glasses anymore (this is actually the thing that finally got me out of the bed).

10. She pulled Daddy out of bed and then sat on him.

No comments: