Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Quiet Time

Grandma and Grandpa are coming for dinner and a sleepover on Saturday. Spilly is already preparing.

"When are they coming?"

"Oh, mid-afternoon," I said.

She looked cagey. "After my nap?"

Naps are becoming contentious areas. Really she doesn't need a nap anymore. But I keep trying to encourage (push) it, as I'm a huge fan of Spilly napping. She, on the other hand, is getting more and more uptight about the whole thing.

"Yes," I said brightly. "After your nap."

There was a long silence, while I waited for it.

"Well, I don't think I would be having a nap on Saturday," Spilly said.

"No?"

"I think," said Spilly, "I will be having quiet time."

This is my new euphemism. It means that Spilly goes into her room and the door closes behind her and Mommy doesn't care what Spilly does (within reason) as long as Spilly is relatively quiet for half an hour or so. It does Mommy the world of good.

"Yes," I said. "I think you will be having quiet time!"

Spilly jumped to her feet. "Come on, Mommy! Want to have quiet time with me right now?"

"Well...it wouldn't be quiet time if I was there."

"Yes! We'll be verrry, verrry quiet."

Moments later, there we were in Spilly's room, with the lights off and the blinds down.

"Now what?" I said.

"Now we get in the chair," she whispered hollowly.

We sat in the chair.

"Yes?" I said. "Now what?"

She snuggled close. "Now you tell me about when I was a baby."

No comments: