Thursday, January 10, 2008

When this red spot grows up, it will become a pimple

So...there I was doing something busy and important this afternoon after school, when Spilly said from the living room, "Mommy, I have a pimple on my finger!"

And I said, "That's nice, honey."

"Oh--and I have a pimple on my leg! A nice...big...pimple." She spoke with great satisfaction.

"....Really?"

Then I clued in to what she had said. Pimples on finger and leg. Oh. No, it couldn't be.

When I popped my head in the living room door, there she was, inspecting her small hand with interest.

"Let's see this pimple of yours," I said.

She showed me.

"And the other one."

"See, Mommy?"

"Yes, I do. Are they itchy?"

"Oh, yes, they sure are!" She spoke with satisfied gusto as if I'd asked if her meal had been yummy.

"Really?"

"Oh, YES!"

"Hmm," I said. "Itchy bumps. You're not supposed to have itchy bumps." She'd had her shot against chicken pox.

Unfortunately, a subsequent google search about chicken pox revealed that you can still get it, even if you've had the vaccine. It will apparently be a lighter dose, if that's a consolation. You still have to stay away from other kids for awhile--including the little girl whose birthday Spilly was supposed to go to on Saturday.

"Maybe you'll only get two bumps," I said to Spilly.

"Not bumps," she said patiently. "PIMPLES."

"Yes. Pimples."

But bathtime tonight has revealed another one on the back. And Spilly called me in a moment ago, very excited indeed, because another is starting on another finger OF THE SAME HAND AS THE FIRST!!!!

"Oh, yes, look at that, another pimple!" I said, trying to sound cheery while mentally beginning to figure out lesson plans for a substitute teacher, should one be necessary (hopefully hubby can take tomorrow off, but if the bumps aren't gone by the end of the weekend, I may need to cover the parenting duties early next week....).

"MOMMY. NOT A PIMPLE."

"I thought it was a pimple."

She sighed at having to explain such a simple concept to such a dunderhead. "Mommy, it's only a red spot right now. But when this red spot GROWS UP, it will be a pimple."

"Ah," I said. "I see."

I see all right. I see my future, and its name is Calomine Lotion.

* * * *

(....By the way, this is a quick message to Lou to say that indeed I am the "momofspilly" who popped over to the "Daze of Fire" website to see what was what with the fanjayas. Thank you very much for the warm welcome!!)

No comments: